Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Think of Them

Henry Livermore Abbott joined the 20th Massachussetts Regiment right out of Harvard. He formed part of the group of officers that commanded the "Harvard" Regiment. Abbott fought in most of the major battles in the Virginia theater: Fredericksburg, Gettysburg and finally, the Wilderness. He was killed at the Battle of the Wilderness while taking temporary command of his regiment. Henry Abbott was twenty-two years-old.

I mention it because today was a small run-off election here in New York. We have over eight million people in New York City. It is estimated that only three hundred thousand people will come and out and vote.

When the voting days come each year, I think of the men like Henry Abbott. These men volunteered to sacrifice years and then their lives for our country. We have a country because of them. If I get annoyed that I have to go out and vote, I remember him and the others. I also recall the men and women serving right now in Iraq and Afghanistan. They are giving so much. Surely, we can give so little.

My friends, the Civil War should not only be an enjoyment, but a reminder and an inspiration. I do not want to let down our men, alive or dead.

1 comment:

  1. Questo รจ veramente incredibile e stupefacente ... thankyou

    ReplyDelete