Saturday, June 6, 2009

D-Day: A Personal Recollection

My friends, this is where the Et. Al. (among others) comes into this blog.

Since it's hard to say something truly original about D-Day, I can tell you the story of a family friend. No, I'm a little too young to have stormed the beach on D-Day.

My father had a family friend who was originally his patient. As a lifelong bachelor, he liked to take me out to lunch.

During one of our outings, he told that he had been a part of D-Day. My face turned animated and I asked him where he had been. He told me he had been on Omaha Beach.

He added, "I was young. I didn't know what was going on. I did everything I could to avoid the service."

This kid from Brooklyn and attempted malingerer ended up spending fifty years in the Army. He later fought in Korea and Vietnam. I believe he retired with the rank of colonel. Even in retirement, he worked as a consultant on one of the bases here in New York.

It's interesting how circumstance can induce service and even heroism.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment