Monday, June 8, 2009

McClellan, His Personal Side-Article in the Civil War Times

"It would have been better for me personally if I had not been given chief command so early."

Those were the words of George McClellan many years after the Civil War.

I just read an article about Little Mac's influences and experiences from before the war.

I think those clearly played an important role.

However, I believe that McClellan was a man who had enjoyed success too early in life. His rise had been meteoric and nothing had stood in his way. He had not commanded a brigade or a division prior to assuming supreme command.

McClellan could not face obstacles to his success because previously, there hadn't been any.

That charmed life led to his failure when he commanded the Army of the Potomac.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment